INSIDE: 10 Tips to Stretch Your Dime at NLC!
10 Tips to Stretch Your Dime at NLC!
By Rohit Iyer, VP of Finance
We’ve all felt it before: that moment of elation as you realize that after months of hard work, you can finally walk across the stage at the state conference, receive your medal, and accept your spot as an NLC qualifier! And then comes a sinking feeling as you ask yourself, “How in the world am I going to afford a week in San Diego?”
Never fear! I’m here with a few tips for you to make your money work for you this summer in San Diego.
- When you arrive with your chapter, take an hour to go buy food for the week from a local grocery store. It’ll be much cheaper than buying breakfast and snacks at your hotel all week.
- Share costs among your room! If you do buy food, have everyone contribute to the total cost so that it stays affordable for everyone.
- When in San Diego, try your best to walk or use public transportation instead of taking Ubers or taxis. The prices of those rides add up pretty quickly.
- If you’re not feeling too hungry at a restaurant, or the portions are just ginormous, split the meal with a friend! You’ll both get your fill of great food and you’ll be able to swallow the price, too.
- Before leaving for San Diego, look online for coupons for local attractions that you can enjoy with your chapter.
- If it’s possible, try to pack all your clothes in a carry-on bag. Luggage costs can be very expensive, so it would be worth your while to pack as light as possible.
- Instead of paying for water bottles in San Diego, bring a reusable water bottle from home. The tap water in the hotel will be fine, and ice is free, so you’ll be able to stay cool and hydrated on a budget!
- Instead of getting a bunch of different souvenirs for everyone in your family, try to find one souvenir that you can get for the whole family.
- Find free or low cost activities in San Diego to fill up any free time your chapter has!
- Above all, do your best to avoid impulse purchases. We all tend to get excited when we’re on a trip and we see something we want to buy immediately, but before you do, ask yourself if you really need it right this second. If the answer might be no, put your wallet away and move on. You’ll thank yourself later!
Do your best to follow these tips and I guarantee that you’ll have an unforgettable week at the NLC at a great price!
Rohit Iyer , VP of Finance