FCCLA’s 2017 - 2018 Teen Road Safety Assessment (RSA) initiative, sponsored by the American Traffic Safety Services Association (ATSSA), FIA Foundation, and Roadway Safety Foundation (RSF), enhances peer-to-peer education and promotes teen driver safety by having students examine their own school intersection.
FCCLA members participate in this program to bring awareness to infrastructure safety and to educate their peers and community members. It is an opportunity to focus on an area specific to them that either they or their peers drive/walk every day. It is an eye opening opportunity that can potentially lead to big changes if the road safety assessment proves an intersection is unsafe or dangerous. These assessments can help to make teens better drivers, pedestrians, and bicyclists.
This youth-led effort engages students, school administrators, local law enforcement and others in the community to study the intersections in front of their schools and evaluate 5 key areas important to road safety. The goals of the program are to:
- Enhance peer-to-peer education be engaging students in addressing a geographic area they use daily, whether walking or driving
- Connect students with local members of their community to address road safety
- Teens become smarter drivers, pedestrians and bicyclists, through education and awareness
To participate, sign up here.
You can also access important resources, below, such as How to Conduct an RSA and our RSA Assessment Tool. To learn more about this exciting initiative contact FCCLA Director of Programs, Beth Carpenter at email@example.com.
To submit your Teen RSA results (due March 1st), go to: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Teen_RSA_Results.
Cash Prizes Available!
Submit your Teen RSA report by March 1, 2018 for a chance at these prizes:
- 25 - $200 Random Drawing Awards
- 1 - $500 Random Drawing Award
- Teen RSA Assessment Tool
- How to Conduct an RSA
- FCCLA FACTS Guide has a special unit on RSA's (pp. 149-53)
- Atlanta Teen RSA Press Release
- Atlanta Teen RSA Video
Teen RSA Media
- August 2017 Teen RSA Media Advisory
- Times News: New roundabout christened at Union High School
- WCYD Virginia: Union High students, VDOT make safety roundabout reality
- Teen RSA Video (Youtube) (Download)
- B-roll video (Youtube) (Download)
- Press Release
- C-SPAN Video
- Drone Footage of New Roundabout - Big Stone Gap, VA
- Teen RSA Infographic
Teen RSA Report