The FCCLA Families First national peer education program through which youth gain a better understanding of how families work and learn skills to become strong family members. Its goals are to: help youth become strong family members and leaders for today and tomorrow and strengthen the family as the basic unit of society.
Families First Units:
To help members focus their projects, Families First offers five units. Members may complete projects in one or several units. There is no particular order to them; although, "Families Today" might be a good place to start. It covers topics that provide a general overview of families and related issues:
- Families Today - Understand and celebrate families
- You-Me-Us - Strengthen family relationships
- Meet the Challenge - Overcome obstacles together
- Balancing Family and Career - Manage multiple responsibilities
- Parent Practice - Learn to nurture children.
Click Here to integrate FCCLA into your classroom by downloading lesson plans and activities!
FCCLA offers national recognition to chapters that complete Families First projects. This hon0r includes cash awards and special recognition at the National Leadership Conference online, and in Teen Times magazine. Chapters apply online for recognition for their hard work and innovative projects with the National Families First Program Award Application.
- High School Award - $1,000
- Middle School Award - $1,000
- Runner-Up Award - $500
Deadline: Applications must be submitted online to FCCLA national headquarters by March 1.The online award system will automatically close March 1, 5:00 p.m. EST.
To apply for the Families First Program Award please follow the steps below:
- Log on to the FCCLA affiliation system by going here: https://affiliation.registermychapter.com/fccla#
- Once logged in, select the "Program Awards" tab
- Select the Families First Award section
- Select "Apply Now" for either Middle or High School
- Please be sure to select the correct application
- Fill out all of the required fields* as specified on the application then hit "Submit"
- Please note: Once you submit your application you cannot make any changes. Double check all of your answers before submitting.
- If you are not finished with the application yet, hit "Save" and you can come back and finish your application at another time
- If you no longer wish to complete the application, hit "Delete"
- You are required to upload 3 photos to a photo sharing website and provide us with the link to the photos on the application. Instructions on how to do so can be found here.
- You will have the option to provide up to 10 supporting files, such as promotional pieces (e.g. flyers, print ads, PSAs, 90 seconds of video, etc.) and public relations materials (newspaper articles, TV interview video, etc.) that help tell the story of your project to Dropbox and provide the link to the files on the application. Instructions on how to use Dropbox can be found here.
- Be sure to read the Program Awards Application Terms & Conditions before starting your application.
*This application will automatically stop you once you have reached the word limit for that answer and the application also has a spell check feature. You cannot copy and paste into the application.
Congratulations 2016 Families First Award Winners!!High School Winner
Parkston High School, South Dakota
Project Title: "Strength for Sam" Middle School Winner
Montgomery County Middle School FCCLA, Missouri
Project Title: "Amazing Race Event" Runner-Up Winner
Page County High School, Virginia
Project Title: "Take a Seat!"
- National Family Week - Children do better when their families are strong and families do better when they live in communities that help them succeed.
- FCCLA Families First Info Sheet
- More Activities That Teach - Helping Parents Move from Lecturing to Sharing
- Divorce For Dummies
- Etiquette For Dummies
- Creating Family Web Sites For Dummies
- Genealogy Online For Dummies
- Parenting For Dummies
- Raising Happy Children For Dummies
- Relationships For Dummies
- Teaching Kids to Spell For Dummies