The FCCLA Families First national peer education program through which youth gain a better understanding of how families work and learn skills to become strong family members. Its goals are to: help youth become strong family members and leaders for today and tomorrow and strengthen the family as the basic unit of society.
Families First Units:
To help members focus their projects, Families First offers five units. Members may complete projects in one or several units. There is no particular order to them; although, "Families Today" might be a good place to start. It covers topics that provide a general overview of families and related issues:
- Families Today - Understand and celebrate families
- You-Me-Us - Strengthen family relationships
- Meet the Challenge - Overcome obstacles together
- Balancing Family and Career - Manage multiple responsibilities
- Parent Practice - Learn to nurture children.
FCCLA offers national recognition to chapters that complete Families First projects. This hon0r includes cash awards and special recognition at the National Leadership Conference online, and in Teen Times magazine. Chapters apply online for recognition for their hard work and innovative projects with the National Families First Program Award Application.
- High School Award - $1,000
- Middle School Award - $1,000
- Runner-Up Award - $500
Deadline: Applications must be submitted online to FCCLA national headquarters by March 1.The online award system will automatically close March 1, 5:00 p.m. EST.
Learn how to apply here!
Congratulations 2018 Families First Award Winners!!High School Winner
Houston County High School, Georgia
Project Title: “Frozen Meals, Warm Hearts” Middle School Winner
Montgomery County Middle School, Missouri
Project Title: “The Amazing Family Race” Runner-Up Winner
Louisa County Middle School, Virginia
Project Title: “Family First Aid”
Need help brainstorming project ideas?
- Strengthen families with FCCLA @ The Table and The Family Dinner Project
- Explore the following STAR Events:
- Applied Math for Culinary Management
- Early Childhood Education
- Environmental Ambassador
- Illustrated Talk
- Interpersonal Communications
- Life Event Planning
- Nutrition and Wellness
- Digital Stories For Change
- Think it through with the FCCLA Planning Process Template
- FCCLA Families First Info Sheet
- Teen Times
- Downloadable copies of all 2017-2018 Teen Times and Teaching with Teen Times available for affiliated chapters on the FCCLA Portal
- Adviser submitted lesson plans and activities