Japanese Exchange is a scholarship opportunity for FCCLA members to travel to Japan for four-to-six weeks as an exchange student. This scholarship is funded by the Kikkoman Corporation, administered by Youth For Understanding USA.
The FCCLA Japanese Exchange Scholarship is administered by Youth For Understanding USA (YFU USA), a non-profit international exchange organization. Based on the premise that international understanding can be achieved through individuals, the program emphasizes family living as the core of the overseas learning experience. The opportunity to experience the day-to-day life of another country and its people enhances students' awareness of international issues.
Don't miss your opportunity to live in Japan next summer with a Japanese host family. You can be one of 14 FCCLA members selected to experience a Japanese tea ceremony, traditional Japanese foods, or climb up Mount Fuji with a Japanese brother or sister. It will be a summer you will never forget! Read about past scholarship recipients and their summers!
The Japanese Exchange Scholarship includes:
- round-trip international travel
- round-trip domestic travel
- placement with a carefully selected host family
- regional orientation for scholarship recipients and parents
- three-day Japan specific orientation at the beginning of the program
- Youth for Understanding USA staff and volunteer support services in the U.S. and Japan
- room and board
To apply for the Japanese Exchange Scholarship, the applicant's birthday must fall between April 2, 2002 and April 1, 2004. Students who do not meet this age requirement will be considered for admission on a case-by-case basis. The date range for this program is mid-June and returning late July. Students are not allowed to arrive late or plan to leave early. Please note that these program dates can be subject to change. The scholarship application is located on the Youth For Understanding - USA website and is due January 13, 2020.
2019 Japanese Exchange Scholarship Winners:
Fourteen FCCLA members have been named recipients of the 2019 Japanese Exchange Scholarship. This summer they had a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be immersed in Japanese culture and see first-hand what makes families special on the other side of the world.
FCCLA thanks the Kikkoman Corporation for funding the Japanese Exchange Scholarship, and Youth for Understanding USA for administering the program. This scholarship is valued at more than $8,995 per student.
The scholarship recipients are:
A. Christensen, MN
A. Elorrieta, ID
A. Weishaar, KS
G. Johnson, SD
H. Le Cross, WA
I. Hansen, MN
L. Esvelt, WA
L. Perez, KS
M. Wheeler, OK
O. Kierstead, AR
R. Neefe, NE
S. Renelt, TX
T. Pawlowski, SD
Future Homemakers of Japan:
- Kikkoman Corporation - Aiming to continue to be good corporate citizens both at home and abroad, by reinforcing commitment to local communities and contributing to environmental protection.
- Youth For Understanding USA (YFU USA) - Preparing young people for their responsibilities and opportunities in a changing, interdependent world.